Hemorrhoids are, literally, a huge pain in the rear, often can be developed by obesity and sitting on the toilet to long, it can also present itself in pregnancies. They are a very unfortunate condition that is not only painful and uncomfortable but extremely embarrassing. Fortunately, there are ways to avoid and ease hemorrhoids that can be done at home.
Some lifestyle changes can greatly prevent the onset of hemorrhoids. Leading a healthy lifestyle can immensely help. A few more specific things to help prevent hemorrhoids are:
- Empty your bowels as soon as you feel the urge
- Avoid sitting for long periods of time or lifting heavy objects
- Drinking plenty of water and increasing your fiber intake to maximize your regularity
- Wear cotton underwear to allow adequate air flow to the anal area
- If you want to learn more lifestyle changes to help your Hemorrhoids, check out my review of Hemorrhoid Free for Life Here. It’s a huge help.
If you do go through the pain of developing hemorrhoids, try to get started on a medication regime as soon as possible to combat the development of hemorrhoids. Many over-the-counter products help treat your hemorrhoids at home, such as anything that contains hydrocortisone or witch hazel. These come in ointment, creams, suppositories, or pads. Also it is a good idea to take a pain reliever that contains acetaminophen (Tylenol) to help with the pain. Do not take aspirin or ibuprofen, however, as these will make the bleeding worse.
Besides medication, there are several other ways to treat hemorrhoids at home. Try such things as:
- Keep the anus area clean but do not use soap. Use a hairdryer to dry the area after you clean it
- Soaking in a sitz bath several times a day for 15 minutes. Take care to make sure the water isn’t too warm
- Apply an ice pack several times a day, and alternate with heat and warm compresses several times a day
- If you can, sleep on your stomach with a pillow under your hips to decrease swelling.
- There are many other home treatments you can try. Take a look at my review of Hemorrhoid Free for Life here to learn more of them.
Hemorrhoids are a major source of discomfort, but experiment with these different methods of home treatments and see what works best to relieve any discomfort you are experiencing.